6/16/14

Fathers, real and imagined

Many people will have recognized some father in their lives yesterday, whether that was a "real" father or an adopted one.  Fathers come in many sizes and shapes, from the hands-on to the so hands-off that it's hard to believe they have hands!  Some of my favorite fathers are fictional, but don't tell them (or me) that, since their influence has been felt by millions:
  • Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird
  • Horton, Horton Hatches the Egg
  • Prospero, The Tempest
  • Mr. Murry, A Wrinkle in Time
  • The Man, The Road
And the winner of the worst father in literature award?  I'm going to go with Jack Torrance in The Shining, because you know, you shouldn't actually try to kill you kid, even if somedays you want to.

Happy Father's Day, a day late, just like many a dad out there!

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2078151_2078159_2078165,00.html
Warner Brothers / Everett Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and questions and will do my best to answer in a reasonable time, though working on my next novel has to come first.